2008/6/26 Hartmut Holzgraefe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Richard Quadling wrote:
>
>  How bad would it be to say that namespacing can only apply to classes and
>> not normal functions?
>>

> i don't see namespacing as an OO only feature, IMHO it is a perfectly
> valid and useful thing for pure procedural code, too
>
> not having namespacing for procedural functions would leave
> the old ugly concept of bundling functions as static methods within
> dummy wrapper classes as only option for procedural name space
> emulation ... which AFAIR was one of the things we wanted to get
> rid of way back when the whole namespace idea first materialized?

Ok. I see your point and the idea of grouping related functionality into a
dummy class full of statics does feel wrong when there is no other benefit,
but from a userland code's perspective

namespace::function()

looks JUST like

ugly_bundled_class::static()

Internally, sure, they are completely different, but from a users
perspective, they are the same thing. Same amount of typing. Same syntax.
Nothing to differentiate.

So the issue to namespace::function() vs class::static() remains.

As I see it either precedence is the answer (user namespaces first, internal
namespaces next and global namespace being last) or a different symbol for
namespace.

Maybe namespace:::function() vs class::static().

Would that be enough?

Richard.

--
-----