On Jul 15, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

Well, it is used in other places too, like in figuring out _once paths. Including the same file using different paths still needs to be caught.

Are you calling clearstatcache() manually anywhere? That blows away the entire realpath cache and completely destroys your performance, so you will want to avoid doing that very often.

Based on what I've seen, if the realpath cache gets filled it just quits caching rather than pruning. That seemed odd to me.

There was also an issue that Dmitry had fixed in 5.3 a month or so ago where it was caching false finds and filling the cache up more quickly than necessary. I found this out through a quick extension I wrote to view the contents of the realpath cache. If anyone wants to clean this up for inclusion in the core, I'd be more than happy to have it there. You can grab a copy from my Git server:
        git://git.domain51.com/php.realpath.git

-T