Stanislav Malyshev schrieb:
I notice that mysql_set_charset function is not part of 5.3 tree and it's test is marked as "usage not recommended". Could you explain what is the reason for that? It's quite unusual to drop functions in later versions, and if mysql_set_charset() has some problem we should note that in the manual.

Hi Stas,

good find!

I think it has happened accidently in 5_3 at Revision 1.213.2.6.2.16.2.2 when patching ext/mysql for mysqlnd some 10 months ago [1] . Its in 5_2 and its in HEAD. Andrey is working on re-introducing it to ext/mysql in the 5_3 branch.

I don't recall why I added "usage not recommended" to the test. Let me check with Georg. He had some concerns on the function as far as I remember.

Ulf

[1] http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/php-src/ext/mysql/php_mysql.c?r1=1.213.2.6.2.16.2.1&r2=1.213.2.6.2.16.2.2