Stan Vassilev | FM wrote:
Opinions about how disruptive a mandatory backslash for global symbols *in
namespaces* would be, are welcome. Keep in mind that making the backslash
optional will lead to code breakage (such as for above drop-in replacements,
class autoloading etc.) and slower performance (runtime resolution of function
calls).

personally not very disruptive, and after a few hours I think it would become second nature.

I'm sure there will be a few comments about this, but.. why not move all internal functions and classes to a php namespace so that everything has to be in a namespace by default - ie no code that isn't in a namespace.

ie
php\file_get_contents(__FILE__);
instead of
\file_get_contents(__FILE__);