The problem here is that the domain parameter will eventually make its way into the file path and result in an overflow of the MAX_PATHLEN there (I suspect). The problem however (IMHO) lies in gettext that does not check the file path length before using it. For us to do the check will require an arbitrary limit, since the domain comprises only of a portion of the path and just putting a limit on its length of MAX_PATHLEN would not be enough.