On 27.10.2008, at 08:26, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:

2008/10/27 Lukas Kahwe Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On 27.10.2008, at 06:16, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:

2008/10/26 Johannes Schlüter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 14:32 +0100, Kalle Sommer Nielsen wrote:

So, I propose its either being a "supported" feature, or simply put an deprecation notice on it (5.3) and remove it HEAD. I personally vote for the last option, as I don't think resources should be constants as they do not have the constant value even though they do on some level.

I recently discussed the same issue on IRC, (due to #45982) we can't get
rid of resources in constants completely as we need that for STDIN,
STDOU, STDERR constants.

Yes I know, but still I think we should either making it a supported
feature or restrict registering resources on define().

Huh, I wasnt even aware that define() supports anything but scalar values. At any rate I am very sure I never stumbled over code defining a constant with a ressource. Not a very good idea to support ressources, especially given the obvious WTF's this causes (as you rightly pointed out). So I see that an E_DEPRECATED would make sense. However I am not sure about removing this though, which would make the E_DEPRECATED a bit odd (why deprecate if
we do not remove?).

E_DEPRECATED if we deprecated this feature, but I would be happy with
an E_STRICT if this behaviour will be kept. :)

so lets mark it as E_DEPRECATED in 5.3 and remove in 6.0, given that its currently not documented (though oddly it still discourages users to not do something that is not said to work "Only scalar data (boolean, integer, float and string) can be contained in constants. Do not define resource constants.")

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]