On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 16:57, Pierre Joye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Johannes Schlüter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> When dropping magic_quotes the hosting company can do one of two things:
>>
>> a) not update to 5.3 so we either have to maintain 5.2 for some time or
>> let them have problems
>
> +1

We cannot simply nuke a feature that was once upon a time sold as a
security feature, and is still enabled by default, just "out of the
blue".

> I already discussed the possibility to maintain the 5.2 branch after
> 5.3-final (irc and some meetings) and I like to do it (in any case). I
> do think it is something to do but only for critical bug fixes
> (security or crash only).

Of course should we continue to do security releases for "previous
minor releases" until the "new one" is up to .2 or .3 at least.

> We may say that it is the job of the distributors, but I'd to
> disagree. It is critical for us to provide sources and binary releases
> of a stable branch officially, even after a newer branch has been
> released.

How are distributions supposed to keep up to date with security fixes
anyway? The only distro that has a chance is RHEL because they have an
"inside guy".
We really need to work on our relationship with other distros,
starting with marking security fixes as security fixes.

-Hannes