Aloha,

So Johannes and I have chatted about what needs to happen before we can go to RC1. If there are no bigger issues the next version will indeed be RC1. Release sometime in the second half of February. No specific date has been set as of yet. One of the key questions before a date can be set is what kind of issues we still have left to fix:

1) http://bugs.php.net/search.php?status=Open&phpver=5.3&cmd=display
2) we have the phar issues for big endian systems
3) closures and especially reflection were changed just before beta1
4) memory leak in the re2c
5) upgrading guide
6) reorganize the bundled php.ini files to production/development recommendations
7) memleak in zend_object_handlers.c
8) PHP_5_3 missed merge from PHP_5_2 for write_func callback

I want to elaborate on point 1) a bit more. Of course we should fix as many bugs as possible. But we should also not burden 5.3.0 with being a bug fix release. Whatever gets fixed in terms of old bugs is welcome, but we RMs will focus on those introduced in 5.3.

Here is the list of unassigned bugs that are 5.3 specific
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46048 - SimpleXML
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46171 - stream_bucket_new()
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46897 - ob_flush()
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47019 - Namespace reflection
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47085 - phar rename()
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47137 - libxml
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47265 - phar and safe_mode
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=45432 - PDO persistent connections
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46817 - tokenizer
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47230 - phar
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46984 - E_STRICT

We would appreciate it of people could quickly assign themselves to the above tickets, so that we know who to talk to.

assigned bugs where I am not sure if the developer in question is still actively on the issue:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47198 - ticks and ext/pcntl
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=42641 - ob_start()
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=47206 - XSLT

Other important assigned bugs are assigned to andrey/mysql, derick, pierre, dmitry, scott. i assume you guys will let us know if you need help, cannot fix the issue etc.

So I am sure there are still things off in other places too. Please speak up what you feel needs to be addressed.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org

PS: Just FYI .. I will be 99% offline from Feb. 14th until March 5th, as I am traveling to Tanzania for vacation