Hi,

last weekend at FOSDEM in Brussels Leslie Hawthorn announced this year's
Google Summer of Code program. Meanwhile the FAQ including the timeline
has been published.

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html

According to that participating organizations are published on March 18.
As of then we should have a good ideas page motivating students to
contact us early, while the official student applications won't start
until March 23. The sooner we hear from them the better our selection
process can be, that didn't run perfect last year.

Currently the ideas page is still quite short. It would be nice to fill
it up while ideas might be quite rough, too. Last year we had 10
accepted projects, by now we have 3 ideas. If you volunteer as mentor
please mind the program schedule, so you are available during that time
and especially during the evaluation time. (While last year the dates
where postponed by a week...) Last year it was a bit frustrating to get
everybody to fill out this paperwork.

http://wiki.php.net/gsoc/2009/

Talking about paperwork: Scott agreed to do the bureaucratic work this
year and to act as primary administrator. I hope we get it running
smoother than last year where I jumped in just from time to time when I
found out the original admin didn't have enough time.

Everybody: come up with ideas and write them down
Scott: run it from here :-)

johannes

ps. When answering: Please strip down the recipients list to not spam
everybody.