I've gone through and made changes based on pretty much all the comments
I've received. Here is a summary of most of the changes I made.

1. Change the About this file section to be useable (unmodified) in both
production and development files.

2. Revised the quick reference section to include default, development and
production values in both files. This was done to make it more useful and
reduce the differences between the two INIs. It was suggested that this new
section be removed completely and was suggested that diffing the production
and development files would produce essentially the same thing. This is
incorrect as the main reason for this section is to point the differences
between these files and PHP's default behavior. Diffs aren't going to help
with that. It was also suggested that we move all the directives with
setting differences to the top of the file for ease of use. I like the way
the directives are currently grouped by association. Re-ordering the
directives which have different values than the default breaks that
grouping. I think this quick reference section achieves both goals somewhat
elegantly.

3. I've attempted to reduce the overall differences between the production
and development INIs to only setting changes. All commenting and white
spacing should now be the same between both documents.

4. I mistakenly had the development and production values of
allow_call_time_pass_reference reversed. This error has been corrected.

5. The development value of output_buffering has been changed to match the
production value for reasons of operational consistency.

6. The development value of register_argc_argv has been changed to match the
production value for reasons of operational consistency.

7. The development value of request_order has been changed to match the
production value for reasons of operational consistency.

8. The development value of session.gc_divisor has been changed to match the
production value for reasons of operational consistency.

8. The development value of variables_order has been changed to match the
production value for reasons of operational consistency.

9. The development value of error_reporting has been changed to E_ALL |
E_STRICT.

10. The production value of error_reporting has been changed to E_ALL |
~E_DEPRECATED.

11. The comments regarding section headers have been revised to include
information regarding [HOST= and [PATH=.

12. The oci8.events and oci8.old_oci_close_semantics example values now use
the boolean constants.

13. Many people have asked why the links to the online documentation for
each directive are specifically to the English version. The answer is that I
was a dope when I was copying and pasting them. My bad. Unfortunately,
subsequent research of using non-language specific links has revealed that
the directive specific anchors, which take you right to the directive and
not just the page, are removed upon the redirection that follows when PHP
determines your language and forwards you to the documentation specific to
lang of your browser. This certainly reduces the usefulness of those links.
I've made a few attempts to contact people regarding this. I have every
intention of removing the English biased to these links but I'm not quite
sure how the new links should be formatted yet. Stay tuned for details and
please contact me if you have a solution or can help the creation of one.

14. A few other directives have been question but I don't have enough
experience with these particular settings so please weight in on them.

extension_dir = "./"
enable_dl = On

Take a look when you get a chance and let me know how things look now.

http://wiki.php.net/rfc/newinis

Eric Stewart