On 18.03.2009, at 11:06, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

On 17.03.2009, at 10:59, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

On 10.03.2009, at 17:04, Johannes Schlüter wrote:

Hi,

I wrote a mail last Friday about this but it seems like it got lost. I wanted to go RC on Thursday, as this now would be a rather short- time announcement (while quite a few devs already knew) this plan has changed
by a week:

PHP 5.3.0 RC 1 is now scheduled for Thursday 2009/03/19.

This means we'll enter the pre-build commit-freeze for build fixes only
on Wednesday 2009/03/18.

Just a reminder. This means today is the day to get your fixes in. Is anyone looking over Matt's patches?

Also on the wiki are several open todo items:
http://wiki.php.net/todo/php53#rc1

Please let me know if any items on there are already done.
Also let Johannes and myself know of any show stoppers that will not get completed today. Remember this is an RC, so we should be quite serious about the quality we are releasing.

This is the time for bug fixes and _not_ for features. I know there is a certain tendency to put features first, since important open bug fixes delay a release, while feature additions at this point will not. I ask everybody to pay "fair" and focus on getting PHP 5.3 out the door, rather than rushing features in now, that take away the focus from bug fixing and worse yet could add new bugs.

Ok, since there is too much last minute stuff going on and we are aiming for a release quality RC1, we have decided to move the release date to next Tuesday, the 24th.

Bug fixing until this Friday. Any other bug fixing over the weekend needs the nod of one of the RMs. Build fixing Monday. Release Tuesday.

At the request of Pierre, I am tightening the commit window.
Please finish all bug fix commits by Thursday.
If there are any last minute discoveries, you can ask Johannes and myself to be allowed to commit on Friday. The later in the day the request comes, the less likely we are to approve the commit.

Anything after that (including commits to the test suite) will need to be reverted unless its a build fix. Please do not waste time doing reverts. Release candidates need proper QAing ahead of time. In the future we will try to stick with Thursday releases with a commit freeze starting the Tuesday before, to give two full week days of build fixing.

As such it would be appreciated if people can spend some time on the weekend to do as much build fixing as possible to ensure that we can get done on Monday in order to release on Tuesday.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org