Hi Matt,

Matt Wilmas wrote:
Hi Dmitry,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dmitry Stogov"
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009

BTW may be we should eliminate strtol() at all.
There's no need to scan the string twice.

Your change to remove strtol() [1] is not checking for overflow correctly (for example, zend_u_strtol()'s checks are more complicated). This breaks handling of keys above ULONG_MAX (it's correct again after ULONG_MAX+LONG_MAX, until ULONG_MAX * 2, etc.). See:

var_dump(array('5000000000' => 1));

array(1) {
 [705032704]=>
 int(1)
}

Thank you for catching this.
I'll think a bit and then revert patch if don't find better solution.

And of course the new code is a bit slower for keys that aren't fully numeric, e.g. "123a"

Agree, but it's not a usual case, "1234" would occur much faster.

Thanks. Dmitry.

[1] http://news.php.net/php.zend-engine.cvs/7465

Dmitry.

- Matt

Matt Wilmas wrote:
Hi all,

Assuming there are no objections, I'll commit this fix in a few hours...

Besides the bug report(s), I had also found awhile ago that currently an array key can be LONG_MAX or LONG_MIN as a string and/or integer because of a check in ZEND_HANDLE_NUMERIC() (I assume to avoid a slow errno check for ERANGE originally). I changed it to use the *same method* that's used in the scanner, is_numeric_string(), etc., and those 2 values are now treated as an integer.

It's just a few lines changed in zend_hash.h, although I had to move some of the definitions from zend_operators.h to zend.h (is that OK?).

Patches (didn't check HEAD's yet):
http://realplain.com/php/array_key_limit.diff
http://realplain.com/php/array_key_limit_5_3.diff

- Matt