Matteo Beccati wrote:
> Here's a proposal: http://www.beccati.com/misc/php/pdo_streams_v4.diff
>
> The idea is to add a new #define PDO_DRIVER_API_CHECK which is verified
> at compile time by the C preprocessor. If its value doesn't match the
> main PDO_DRIVER_API an #error is triggered, e.g:
>
> In file included from /tmp/PDO_PGSQL-1.0.2/pdo_pgsql.c:29:
> /usr/local/include/php/ext/pdo/php_pdo_driver.h:50:2: error: #error "PDO
> driver not compatible with the PDO API version in use"

Hi Matteo,

I'll just comment on the internal API versioning part - let's get that
sorted out first.

To make it easier to write database specific PDO drivers that work
with a range of versions of the internal PDO API, I think
PDO_DRIVER_API_CHECK could be changed to be min & max values that the
driver supports.  The check would be:

#if !defined(PDO_DRIVER_API_IMPLEMENTED_MIN) || \
    !defined(PDO_DRIVER_API_IMPLEMENTED_MAX) || \
    !(PDO_DRIVER_API_IMPLEMENTED_MIN <= PDO_DRIVER_API && \
      PDO_DRIVER_API <= PDO_DRIVER_API_IMPLEMENTED_MAX)
#error "PDO driver not compatible with the PDO API version in use"
#endif

Adding code documentation to the macros explaining what driver writers
can & should do would be useful (i.e. please add some).

I'm not keen on the introduction of php_pdo_version.h.  It seems a
kludge so that PDO passes its own version check.  It makes PDO itself
defines the same value in two places.  If you're going to bump
PDO_DRIVER_API and change the API, thus making all current PDO drivers
incompatible, you may as well continue making changes.  Perhaps put
the version check code in a new file that is only included in DB
driver files, and not in PDO .c files.

Chris

--
Email: christopher.jo...@oracle.com