On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
There has been quite a bit of discussion on this list, IRC, developer meetings, etc... about introduction of type hinting to PHP. Most people appear to think that this would be a good idea, but there is a reason why it is not in PHP already. The main source of conflict appears to be that in some cases typical type hinting is just too strict for PHP's typeless nature (most people expect that "1" == 1, while int type hint would definitely reject string "1"). Personally, I disagree with that opinion, but I can understand people who raise that issue. At work we've been using PHP 5.2 with type hinting for nearly 2 years now with great success, it makes code much easier to read and understand and the security benefit of type hinting is not to be under valued. In many cases type hinting can present a last line of defense against unexpected input for numeric fields, which are typically abused to do SQL injection.
[snip]
My hope is that the latest changes will allow this to become a standard part of PHP.

+1 (+1000, actually :)

-- Gwynne