2009/7/20 Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Patrick
> ALLAERT<patrick.alla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi lists,
>>
>> Running many "make test" on different platforms (including Solaris and
>> OpenVMS), I'd like to contribute a little bit more than my karma let
>> me do.
>> For now, I have access to php-src/ext/ldap only, however I'd like to
>> backport changes in phpt files that have been done in HEAD and/or
>> PHP_5_3 to PHP_5_2.
>>
>> One example of this is backporting r265951:
>> http://svn.php.net/viewvc?view=revision&revision=265951
>>
>> Would you agree granting me access to */tests so that I can improve
>> testability of PHP_5_2?
>
> Done (and NEWS too). Also try to commit the tests in all branches at
> the same time, see http://news.php.net/php.internals/44993 for a
> detailed explanation :)

Thanks Pierre,

Concerning Rasmus' method, I agree, but partially.

Merge shouldn't be done with something else than "svn merge" or a
frontend to it, SVN having merge tracking since v1.5 we shoudn't use
plain diff/patch when the operation could be done 100% natively. Ok
otherwise.

MFH/MFB should be avoided and native tracking through svn:mergeinfo
should be promoted. Mixing the two will lead to not taking the benefit
of SVN against CVS IMHO.

My best practices:
1) commit to HEAD.
2) "svn merge" for every supported branches.
3) one single commit for all the branches as Rasmus explained.

Doesn't need any fancy tool or frontend, 100% native and tracking included.

To be validated by RM's maybe ? :-)

Patrick