On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Stanislav Malyshev<s...@zend.com> wrote:

>> And yes, it's worth providing separate conversion system.  You might
>> not be aware of it, but there are several sets of different character
>> sets, each of which is often represented with a specific encoding
>> scheme.  Shift_JIS is one of those.
>
> I'm not sure I understand. There are tons of character sets, etc. but as I
> understand ICU conversion routines handle them, including Shift_JIS - isn't
> it true?

Coded character sets and character encoding schemes are different
concepts. As for the specific case I mentioned, there are a number of
variants of the character set that is commonly represented as
Shift_JIS, and ICU doesn't support all of those.

>> What I am mainly interested in is 5.4, or something that will come
>> before 6.  BTW, it would be much better if there had been a sort of
>> coordination between the developers of mbstring and intl extension.
>
> I'm not sure what will happen about 5.4 etc. but sure I'd be glad to help as
> much as I could with anything regarding intl extension. DO you have some
> specific things that need to be done?

This is just one of my ideas, but If intl extension eventually obtains
enough functionality that allows one to write emulated mbstring
functions in userland, then it would sound very attractive to me.

Moriyoshi