On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Lothar Scholz<sch...@scriptolutions.com> wrote:

> PB>> Yes, definitely.
>
> And again we see that complexity is just that complex but not
> necessarily good. As all others outperform PHP in all basic
> operations.

Yes, by many times. Part of that might be the expense of PHP's weak
typing and references. They cause most operations to be more
expensive, even if they are not used in that particular operation.

I did a performance analysis of PHP in a paper I have in submission.
You might find it interesting (comment welcome):
https://www.cs.tcd.ie/~pbiggar/wip-sac-journal.pdf. There was a POPL
paper this year on Copy-on-write in PHP, which might be interesting to
you. There was also a PLDI paper on the performance effects of PHP's
memory allocator, which might also interest you.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Biggar