If I had only checked... Appears its been in trunk (and 5_3) for over 2 years now :)

Rob

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Seems like a no-brainer for 5.3 and trunk.  You will have to discuss
with Ilia for 5.2.  It seems a bit late in the game for that branch to
get this.

-Rasmus

Rob Richards wrote:
The openssl extension is way to restrictive in the algorithms it
supports, i.e. no support for SHA265 which is starting to become the
standard algo to use, etc.. Rather than having to always add more
constants and additional logic for any new algorithms, I'd like to
change the sign and verify functions to not only accept the current
integers, but also a string so the EVP_get_digestbyname function can be
used.

So while still supporting something list:
openssl_sign($data, $signature, $priv_key_id, OPENSSL_ALGO_SHA1)

It can also be called using:
openssl_sign($data, $signature, $priv_key_id, "SHA1")
openssl_sign($data, $signature, $priv_key_id, "SHA256")

Attached is a patch to illustrate the change made to the PHP_5_2 branch
(only to the sign function but same change would be made to verify as
well).
I'd really like to be able to support the string based algorithm rather
than always having to add constants just for the added flexibility but
in any case we really need to add support for more than what we have
now. Personally I'd also like to see this in 5.2.12 but know that might
be pushing it.

Rob