Hi!

Attached is a patch (against HEAD) which adapts the default ("php") session serializer to serialize the whole array using php_var_serialize instead of calling it once per element.

This simplifies the serialization code, and allows unicode session keys, or even ascii keys containing the pipe character.

I think it makes sense. One note: your code allows numeric session keys, previously not allowed. Not sure if it's important.

However it would be a significant BC break, as old serialized session records would be unreadable after upgrading. We could mitigate this by providing a script to convert old session files.

If it would be a problem, we could always keep an old one as "php_old" for a while for those who need it, just not make it the default.
s...@zend.com   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: s...@zend.com