Try...

$fmt = MessageFormatter::create('en_GB', 'There are {0,choice,0#are no
files|1#is one file|1<are many files} ok');

echo $fmt->format(array(0)), "\n";
echo $fmt->format(array(1)), "\n";
echo $fmt->format(array(10101)), "\n";

Best place for documentation is tests, or example code I find.
http://userguide.icu-project.org/formatparse/messages/examples

Jared