Hi!

Yes, it works for me, in both the isolated test case and the original MW
bug.

MW's parser test suite shows 4 failing tests in 5.3.1, all fixed with
this patch and no new regressions.

Great, will commit the patch tomorrow then to all branches.

The underlying functions are declared with reference parameters, and we
call them with call_user_func_array() so explicitly creating references
on the caller side is required. If you have a better method for calling
arbitrary functions that accept reference parameters, let me know.

call_user_func_array() wasn't a problem in this particular case, __call was (see the bug), because internally it's user function call simulated by internal function call, so it needed some special check.

Lots of MediaWiki functions are declared with reference parameters for
objects when they aren't really needed, because that was the required

Entirely unrelated to this bug, passing objects by-ref is not the best idea in PHP 5.
s...@zend.com   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: s...@zend.com