Hi all again,

first thanks, for all the links.

>> In java world there is the JVM specification, I hoped there is
>> something for PHP too.
>
> Well there's one quite complete document about it available - the source
> code ;-) PHP isn't developed following standards but simply by
> implementing and extending it. PHP is defined by the implementation ...

I was afraid it is :-)

> But: What exactly do you want to learn? Do you want to learn how to use
> it better or "academic reasons" or something else? - Depending on all
> that the focus of the learning might be quite different.

I don't want to start with PHP development itself. I just want to be
able to learn how to use the language best. For example, I can tell
you quite good when to use what in java world, because I know how an
object is being created. This helps me with writing performant code
and with debugging. I want to getthat ability with PHP too.

> This all will be compiled to Zend Opcodes which can be executed, cached
> with APC, dumped by vld, ...
> I hope I find the time to write the documentation around it, other than
> that this code is absolutely useless :-)
>
> http://github.com/johannes/pasic

Thanks for sharing this. However, I am not a skilled C developer nor
do I know exactly what Opcodes are or even APC or vld.
I really hoped that there is some kind of specification around. I also
took a look at:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/internals2.php

but it helped me not too much. Its more about writing extensions to
PHP. But I would like to understand how the object oriented features
really work. I am afraid with my basic knowledge on C I have to dig
very deep  and need to compile everything myself on my Mac, which
already gave me some headache.

Thanks
Christian