>> > We are letting you know that you need to start thinking about
>> > migrating your code away from non-Unicode aware functions like
>> > ereg() and split().
>>
>> Well, this filled up my php logs with some million records telling me
>> this! Do you think it's safer to keep thinking and have an opportunity
>> to miss anything dangerous in the logs just becase they are flooded.
>
> Bitching about upgrading and things not working is not going to get you
> any karma. We release release-candidates for a reason, and blindly
> upgrading is unprofessional.

Derick,
No need to upgrade.
If you write any line in php that other people are interested to run,
you'll see it soon, that different people use different versions of php.
If your code relies on split(), you'll get very good feedback from some of
them.
FYI: I didn't say anything like what you answered to.