steve wrote:
>> Having 8 cores with only 1G of ram would be a weird server config.
>
> A single socket quad-core with hyper-threading and 2GB RAM for a
> 32-bit webserver is not weird. Not everyone is Yahoo where you can
> just throw money around.

Hyperthreading doesn't come anywhere near making a quad-core cpu run
like an 8-core box.  If you can get 25% more speed out of
hyperthreading, you are doing extremely well, and that is only if the
code has a lot of cache misses allowing one hyperthread to run while the
other is waiting for a memory fetch.  So, assuming plenty of cache
misses, your scenario is approximately 5 cores and 2G of ram which is
pretty far from the 8/1 ratio I thought was a weird server config.
Hyperthreading can also hurt you, so most large sites I know turn it off
entirely.

-Rasmus