I don't think it's supposed to work with file://. I get the same error.

I know 4 types of session handlers:

1) files - save_path should be file system path
2) user - save_path could be anything
3) memcache - save_path uses format tcp://host:port (http://cz.php.net/manual/en/memcache.ini.php#ini.memcache.save-path) 4) memcached - uses format hostname:port (http://cz.php.net/manual/en/memcached.sessions.php)

So I think that save_path should be treated as file system path only if the handler is "files". And that is what the patch does.

Test script:

<?php

ini_set('open_basedir', 'C:/');
ini_set('session.save_handler', 'memcache');
session_save_path('tcp://localhost:11211');

?>

Without patch:

Warning: session_save_path(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(tcp://localhost:11211) is not within the allowed path(s): (C:/) in C:\bug.php on line 5

With patch:

No warning and session works.

Jaroslav Hanslik