On Monday 15 March 2010 12:56:07 am Herman Radtke wrote:
> > There are a number of ways to share your branches with others.  At
> > least you can do it by pushing your local changesets to some remote
> > repository.  I've actually been experimenting with modified PHP core
> > with some language features added by forking the mirror on github.com
> > [1].  I've never felt any inconvenience there.  I really appreciate
> > those who set up the mirror.
>
> Yes, this is possible, but in my experience branch sharing quickly
> falls apart in practice.  If I make some change to foo.c, push it to
> your branch and then later on do a rebase to update from svn I just
> rewrote history.  The commit hash you have for foo.c is now different
> than mine.  Now sure you can also rebase, but what if you are away?  I
> am stuck until you return.  Or what if you have a commit to foo.c that
> is made after my commit, but updating from svn creates a conflict you
> need to resolve?  You then again rewrite history and now I have to
> sync back up.  And good luck if one of us cherry-picks.
>
> I think git svn does a great job for individuals working solo on a
> project, but for me it starts to become too tedious when groups of
> people are passing around branches.  Or maybe I am just doing it all
> wrong?

If I may pop in here a moment, my company has done a few projects recently
using git, and Drupal (the main project I work on) is in the process of
planning a git migration.

I make no claims of being a git expert (I've only used it on one project so
far personally), but my understanding from those who are is "OMG WTF are you
doing rebasing???"  99% of the time that's not what you want to do.  You just
want to do a straight up merge from the "parent" branch to your branch off of
the parent periodically.  That may resolve the issue you're describing.

--Larry Garfield, not a git expert by any means, just repeating what he's been
told by people who know more than him