On 2010.03.19. 19:31, Nate Abele wrote:
The point is that, for instance, PHP 5.3 was not a trivial upgrade for coders or
hosters.  Sure it's mostly compatible, and you certainly can write code that works
from 5.0->5.3 just fine, and if not then you're probably doing something
wrong... but that's most of the PHP code out there right now. :-)  And naturally
you can't test your code against 5.3 until it's out.

Larry, to mitigate this issue, please refer to the exhaustive list of
instructions here:

http://twitter.com/nateabele/status/10733251789

PLEASE NOTE: This also applies to user-land applications with test suites (and
here I'm risking showing my ignorance by blindly assuming Drupal does, in fact,
have a test suite).

Please see http://snaps.php.net/ and http://qa.php.net/ for more information.

Thanks,
- Nate

Most actively developed apps out there are targeting very recent PHP versions and generally are aware of changes, (especially when it comes to backward incompatibility) and try to emulate features for older versions. (Like get_called_class().)

http://qa.drupal.org/

Also, any competent hosting provider allows customers to choose PHP version. (DreamHost for example allow it on a per (sub)domain basis.)

--
Pas