With the help of Scotts last suggestion, I made some changes. It seems
to work, but then I don't really know how to test it properly. I can
verify that A) it allows userland code the grace period of 1 second
for shutting down and B) shuts down regardless of the userland error
handler returning or not. I have tested by running the following:

Hi,

Thanks for your patch, but you're going to affect a whole group of users who do advanced logging and recovery in the shutdown phase. This is why these things have to be considered when they're first added.

A grace period of 1 second seems sufficient on a pristine condition unused server, but when your server is loaded, a spike in load may cause a number of shutdown handlers to take more than 1 second, and stop middway running, causing a lot of unpredictability and trouble for those who rely on this feature.

Regards,
Stan Vassilev