Adam Harvey wrote:
On 19 April 2010 11:58, Adam Harvey <ahar...@php.net> wrote:
As at least some of you would already be aware, there's a
long-standing issue with using PHP in a Turkish or Azeri locale,
namely that case-insensitive lookups within the Zend engine (method
names, for example) fail on lookups involving upper-case I characters,
since lower-case I in those languages is ı instead of i (note the lack
of a dot).

Well, I'm going to assume that people have had whatever say they were
going to. It seems that we have three options, so let's put it to a
vote.

(To be completely clear, this is purely for trunk. This certainly
isn't a candidate for backporting to 5.3.)

The options are:

1. Apply Tomas's patch to make case-insensitive lookups
locale-ignorant. Pros: fixes immediate problem. Cons: breaks BC for
case-insensitive function/method name lookups for high-bit characters
in single-byte encodings. (Not that we've ever advertised or
documented that.)

2. Make function/method names case-sensitive, per Stan's e-mail. Pros:
fixes problem; brings PHP into line with most other languages; extra
consistency with variables; possible performance improvement. Cons: BC
break from current documented behaviour.

3. Do nothing. Pros: no BC breaks of any kind. Cons: continues to
annoy Turkish and Azeri developers and those developing for those
locales.

If you'd care to reply with a vote for option 1, 2 or 3, I'll tally up
the votes in a week or so. And yes, I am volunteering to deal with
this should option 1 or 2 be picked.

Adam

No idea if I have the right to vote, but here goes:
+1 for option 2

BR,
Steven