On 24.05.2010, at 22:04, Pierre Joye wrote:

> hi Ilia,
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Ilia Alshanetsky <i...@prohost.org> wrote:
>> since when? PDO was designed to allow drivers to provide their own
>> functions, which many drivers do.
>
> We discussed that on the PDO list, and we try to avoid to add drivers
> specific methods. That's obviously makes sense given the goal of PDO.

Well, if driver provides some unique functionality, which can't be implemented
any other way, I'd say, that it should be implemented.
If there is a way, to make this functionality generic, it should be generic.

Limiting ourselves to Least Common Denominator is not the best idea.

--
Alexey Zakhlestin
http://www.milkfarmsoft.com/