On Wednesday 14 July 2010 03:22:30 pm Dirk Haun wrote:
> Am 13.07.2010 um 17:12 Uhr schrieb Ferenc Kovacs:
> > it would be an interesting to check how many bugs were first marked as
> > bogus then re-opened and fixed.
>
> I've been wondering for a while now if much of the emotional reaction to
>  bugs being closed as "bogus" is due to that very word. I mean, the
>  reporter obviously put some work into the bug report and the issue was
>  apparently important enough for them to even bother opening a bug report
>  in the first place. And then, after all this effort, the verdict is that
>  it's "bogus".
>
> Can't really think of a good alternative right now. But if a bug was closed
>  with a more neutral "can't reproduce", "works as designed" or something
>  like that then maybe there wouldn't be such strong reactions?
>
> Just an observation from the side lines ...

I'd have to agree.  "Bugus" has an implication of "fake".  As in, the
submitter faked a bug report.  That is rarely the intent, I'm sure.

For the Drupal project (which I work on), our "no" issue statuses are "by
design", "postponed", and "won't fix".  (And of course duplicate.)  I sometimes
wonder if "won't fix" is even too negative sounding.

It's amazing what a little wording can mean, especially to new contributors.

--Larry Garfield