+1 for "one could use the full qualified name to refer to the class name".

Making the developer care about the case of characters in one special case -
that's the sort of changes that lead to chaos. Remember that type conversion
works in a case-insensitive manner and so does most of the language
constructs:

(int) $x === (INT) $x
intvav($x) === INTVAL($x)
and so on