> >> Rare use case? Have you seen any recent Java framework? Or Java EE 6? Or
> >> design by contract in C#? A declarative programming style can be very
> >> handy.
> >

> > Framework code (as in code that actually goes into a framework, not code
> > that uses a framework) represents a tiny percentage of the PHP codebase
> > at large.  Most of it is application code.
> >

> You misunderstood me. When I say the frameworks use annotation I don't
> mean they use annotations in their own implementation (that's not
> particularly relevant for the reason you present).
>
> What I mean is that the frameworks recognize annotations the application
> code has so that the framework user can do stuff like injecting objects,
> run methods in transactions or check post-conditions in a declarative
> fashion, by adding annotations.
>
> By the way, you ignored the rest of the e-mail.
>
> How do you evaluate the complexity/return of features such as annotations
> with that of e.g. LSB? Why are they not adequate for PHP, but may be for
> other languages?

I do not understand this.

I see no one other than Symfony / Doctrine people pushing for this annotations
patch.

How can this special-purpose feature (which would add entirely new language
semantics in the form of an embedded micro-language) even be open for
discussion, when other, more generally-useful RFCs like
http://wiki.php.net/rfc/shortsyntaxforarrays were shot down on the basis that
they were hard to read and confusing for new developers?

Sorry, but I don't see how this is even remotely close to being appropriate for
PHP. Maybe I'm missing something. :-)

Thanks,
- Nate