I have certainly wanted them many times - especially when using SOAP.
 Having WSDL auto-generation without compromising developer
documentation and attempting to have user-land code parse phpdoc for this
purpose seem{ed,s} counterintuitive.  That said, introducing annotations is
a HUGE undertaking and would require a ton of work with potentially little
return.  I do think it would be worth looking into in a future major
release, but there are quite a few other things that would be more
beneficial to the community for immediate discussions.

Did anyone write and RFC on this? guilhermeblanco has a good start.