The voice of reason...
As much as I'd like to see magic quotes burning in hell (had the option to kill
them when they were small, but unfortunately didn't), I'm wondering whether the
people +1'ing are thinking about the potential consequences to doing this, and
if they're also volunteering to respond (nicely!!) to the endless complaints,
flames, and just general "what happened???!!!" mailing list emails that may
flood us when this happens.  With 6.0, we talked about having prepend-scripts
that emulate magic quotes available, since like it or not - there are probably
billions of lines of code out there that rely on the existence of magic quotes.
I don't have a strong opinion on whether we should remove magic quotes
altogether in 5.4 and provide emulation instructions, or just disable it by
default as a first step.

Zeev