Let me jump in here and say that I agree that strings are useful. IMO
any scalar type should be allowed for enum's. String enum's are great
for understanding debug data. Also it would integrate smoothly with
MySQL enums (building queries) and when you want to model enumerations
in an external API or framework. When you say "enums should be
integers" you assume that the programmer has the final decision on the
values. But if you want to enumerate possible string return codes from
an external API you'd be forced to write a translation function that
translate the values you read to the internal enumeration
representation.

For example, say that http://www.example.org/api can return either
"fail", "success" or "timeout", you'd like to put these in an
enumeration so they make sense instead of having magic values
scattered across the code.

enum ExampleReturnCodes {
FAILURE = "fail";
SUCCESS = "success";
TIMEOUT = "timeout";
}

if ($ret == ExampleReturnCodes::FAILURE)
echo "noes";

This also highlights why it would be nice to name enumerations just
like classes. They provide a handle for the constants within so they
can be used for reflection. See, I'd like to do something like:

if ($ret enumof ExampleReturnCodes)
\trigger_error("Unknown enumeration value returned!", \E_USER_ERROR);

and:

print("Got: " . ExampleReturnCodes::getName($ret)); // PrintsGot: FAILURE

I'm suggesting this as an additional behavior. Declaring enumerations
without names should make the contents be declared just as normal
namespace/class constants. In addition, declaring a named enumeration
"enum_name" in a  class could give the enumeration the name either
"enum_name" (if it wouldn't be confusing and the named collision risk
is acceptable), "class_name::enum_name" (if the :: operator could be
programmed to also resolved enumeration types and not only class
constants), "class_name_enum_name" (if it would be acceptable to
automatically merge the class name with the enumeration name) (and
possibly other solutions). Another solution is to forbid class
enumerations from being named and only use them as a constant grouping
syntax.

My 5 cents.

Hannes