On Wed Apr 20 04:41 PM, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:

> My proposal was called "filled" since it was the opposite of "empty"
> which already existed.  I extended the function to return the first
> non-empty value or null if all values evaluated as empty.
>
> You could use the function like this:
>
>    $x = filled($_GET['x'], $obj->something, $default, 'default');
>
> Like I said, though, I don't think this can be done in the language
> because I think they ran out of OPCODES and would have to tear apart
> the whole PHP engine to support such a feature.

That's not the reason, there's 127 / 256 opcodes.

So far "filled", "varset", "coallesce", "ifsetor" or any operator would likely
have to manipulate opcodes.

http://php.net/~helly/ze2-ifsetor-20040901.diff.txt

>From what I understand, zeev and andi are strongly opposed to adding a new
>opcode. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Maybe there's another approach where ~ E_NONE could be passed to zend_error

ZEND_API void zend_error(int type, const char *format, ...) /* {{{ */
{
   if(type & E_NONE)
      return;
}

Then modify to zend_vm_gen.php to pass E_NONE if within 'ifsetor'.

Either way, there's a solution for it, I think the debate is over how it's
implemented.

-- Worth reading

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/ifsetor#rejected_features

-- Why?

I think it simply boils down to this:
- PHP *developers* want a function for it.

Derick