On 29.04.2011, at 09:44, Tom Samplonius wrote:

>> While I think this would make SimpleXML more stupid, not less, as it
>> seems
>> braindead to me to allow users to create documents ambiguously and/or
>> which
>> essentially violate the XML namespace spec, I think the way to do
>
>  Allowing child elements to be unqualified is neither braindead or ambiguous.
>  All standalone XML documents are ambiguous, because XML is just structured
> information without a definition of the structure (let alone the semantics of
> the information).  XMLSchemas precisely define the structure, including
> allowable elements, child elements, quantities of elements and data types.
> And if that schema includes the attribute 'elementFormDefault="unqualified"',
> then child elements have to be unqualified.  And that is certainly strictly
> specified, unlike a schemaless XML.

The elementFormDefault="qualified" attribute simply acts as a shortcut in
Schemas so that you don't have to use form="qualified" on every element
declaration. It makes no difference to instance documents which method you use.

Again, xmlns="" puts an element in no namespace. That already works in
SimpleXML. There is no issue here that needs fixing.

David