I'm not arguing if there weren't reasons for implementing it this way.
 I am arguing if they are good enough reasons to justify the security
impact.  It's not my decision (and I respect that), but I would stress
that what PDO is doing is not prepared statements or even
parameterized queries, and as such does not have the same benefits of
using true prepared statements (and perhaps the documentation needs to
be updated to reflect that).

Anthony