On May 28, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Daniel Brown wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 06:05, Kalle Sommer Nielsen <ka...@php.net> wrote:
>>
>> expose_php = Off?
>
>    I think what he and others mean is that they want the option to
> leave the logo, credits, et cetera, completely out of the build at
> compile time.

We also have other possibilities here (this is not a proposal, but rather, a
list of options/ideas to ponder):

0. Do nothing

1. Disable expose_php within the distributed php.ini-* files

Trivial, but changing [at least] php.ini-production is a real possibility.

2. Disable expose_php by default within PHP

We could do this too. Default === when no php.ini file is used.

3. Remove the specific PHP version from the exposed PHP header

There are security concerns although I'm not sure what implications (BC?) or
real help this would offer. For example, version information can be deciphered
by other means (e.g., logos and credits change over time) but maybe it's a help
because, for example, displaying phpinfo() requires direct user action. See
also #4.

4. Change its behavior and usage

For example, phpinfo() relies upon expose_php for both the logo and credits
information to be displayed. However, the phpinfo() output clearly exposes PHP
(along with the version) regardless of the expose_php setting so we could
instead embed the logo into phpinfo(), and display credits as per phpcredits(),
instead of relying upon expose_php for this as done currently. In other words,
expose_php could be off yet phpinfo() behavior would remain close to the same
with either a little extra markup, or appended credits near the license.

But this raises the question: Why do we have magical logo and credit guids?

5. And a performance review

People are concerned with performance issues (e.g., images loaded into memory)
although I'm not sure what real performance is lost (some have made guesses).
Is there a real issue with performance here? How does it compare with, let's
say, loading an additional extension? If so, how can it be helped?

Regards,
Philip