Hello,

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Michael Shadle <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 5 character difference for each array being saved. That's it. At the
> expense of syntax highlighters, IDEs, books, all becoming outdated and
> need to be updated. For a language construct that has been around for
> what, 10 years?

My desire and perhaps the viewpoint of many others to use ":" over
"=>" has very little to do with typing a extra character. This feature
I have seen brought up on the list time and time again, some 8 years
ago being the first. Just recently more people are in favor of it I'm
sure largely due to the common use and readability of JSON. I
understand this discussion is for "array shorthand syntax.." but I
think really people just want to define their data structures like
they do in JSON, I would hate to see such a common and familiar syntax
be changed just for the sake of principal/familiarity.

The take away from this is simply: I think we would be butchering a
very clean, precise and extremely familiar syntax if we use => just to
be "PHP".

-Chris