On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Matthew Weier O'Phinney
<weierophin...@php.net> wrote:

> My point is that perhaps PHP has missed the boat a bit by moving
> everything into extensions. Perhaps if an extension is particularly
> popular, it should be incorporated into core. But let USAGE drive that,
> not the opinions of individuals on @internals.

I cannot disagree than with this statement. PHP is one of the language
with the most connectivity solutions, fast adoption of new
technologies, etc. Why? Because the language itself is relatively
stable while its extensions are created every day for every possible
use.

However it seems that you forgot to consider what I said here a couple
of times already. Having one nosql extension in core won't make
hosters make the respective server side infrastructure available. How
many hosters provide firebird? DB2? Only sqlserver is part of the
standard windows offers but that's due to some different factors.

That's why we should differentiate general purposes extensions like
pecl's http and driver like mongo.

Cheers,
--
Pierre