Hiya,

I've been playing with the built-in server, and have some concerns over how
static assets are handled.

Currently, to run an application on the built-in server, we essentially need
to list out all the static assets that should be served directly from disk.
This is the opposite of what I believe the most common web server
configurations use.

I believe the built-in server should mimic typical configurations, rather
than requiring applications to write code solely for PHP's web server.

Have I just missed something? or if not, what do people think of how static
files are handled currently?

A typical Apache config extract (IMHO):

# Turn on URL rewriting
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

# Allow any files or directories that exist to be displayed directly
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

# Rewrite all other URLs to index.php/URL
RewriteRule .* index.php/$0 [PT]

Apologies is this has been brought up before, I've not seen any discussion
of this topic so far.

Thanks,
Kiall