On July-11-11  Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> Sent: July-11-11 1:57 PM
> To: internals@lists.php.net
> Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] deprecating ext/mysql
>
> On 2011-07-11, Paul Dragoonis
> >
> > Yes, +1 from me too. I do indeed think we need to make this a smooth
> > transition over time. Possibly triggering an E_DEPRECATED for all
> > ext/mysql usage. Just like the introduction of E_DEPRECATED for 5.3
> > functions, we could apply the same approach here. After 5.4 is
> > released we can put big "Deprecated Warning" notifications on all
> > php.net/mysql_* functions too. I think we all want this, but to be
> > realistic from a production point of view, many sites will still be
> > using ext/mysql.
>
> And, to my reading, this is exactly the path that was recommended. The
> point is to start a "soft" deprecation now via the manual, indicating
> that users should migrate to other solutions, while simultaneously
> detailing how to do equivalent operations via ext/mysqli or pdo_mysql.
> Actual deprecation would happen later.

I haven't looked at the mysql_* section of the manual in 15 years. It
would not surprise me to learn that that was one of the least viewed
areas of manual.

I'd be curious to see what kind of response this suggestion would elicit
from the PHP General list.

>From the MySQL site:

"We have no plans to remove libmysql support from ext/mysql, ext/mysqli
or PDO_MYSQL, which would break existing applications. We just add a new,
superior alternative to our PHP offerings."

So I'd also be interested to hear what the MySQL folks had to say about
this.

If a laissez-faire approach is taken a lot of people are going to have
bite marks on their behinds.

Mike