I'm not familiar with the internal implementation of GC in PHP but if
the current garbage collection implementation makes catching the gc
event non-trivial I'd agree and vote for postponing my "SplQueue
ref_queue" suggestion until the future. It could always be added later
and there is the temporary __destruct workaround for the meantime.

~Hannes