On 23 July 2011 23:29, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi.
>
> We had a discussion about the magic_quotes removal that it is weird
> that even though that mq was deprecated in 5.3, we still have/had that
> enabled by default (if you didn't set it from the command line or
> through a php.ini, the default value which is set from the source by
> the PHP_INI_ENTRY_* macros).
> I would propose that the defaul values(PHP_INI_ENTRY_*) and the
> php.ini-production should be keep in sync as much as possible.
> for one thing, this would be less confusing (what do we mean by
> default? PHP_INI_ENTRY_* or the php.ini? why are they different?
> etc.), the second thing would be the principle of the fail-secure
> principle: usually the production settings are more secure and less
> verbose(display_errors for example).
> what do you think?
> of course, if this keeps traction, a proper RFC would be needed, but
> for now, I'm just throwing ideas.

My preference would be to have the defaults be for a production
environment. So, if you do absolutely nothing except copy php.exe and
a few DLLs, (no ini file), the defaults work to an agreed safe
standard. I would envisage that this standard changes over time if
weaknesses are found and exploited (I'm not saying there are any).

I would then like 1 ini file that only contains specific changes to
the defaults for a development environment.

I would also like 1 ini file that exactly matches the defaults and
that this file must be maintained in line with the internal macros. It
would serve as a one stop place to see all the settings as they are
defined by the PHP group and could indicate the preference for
production and development.

So, for a truly lazy developer, it is 1 ini file rename (activate the
development environment) and only the agreed entries are amended from
the production safe environment, rather than overriding any defaults
from the macros, which could have changed and are now out of sync with
the INI file.

Of course, what is considered safe is for you guys to decide, but with
so many settings in the INI files and, as we have seen, disagreement
between the internal macros, a little consensus should go a long way
to be able to help ISPs and shared hosters have a more uniform
standard.

Maybe, and this is right of the top of my head, if PHP is installed
for a production environment with no INI file, or if an ini file
doesn't alter any of the core settings (maybe a separation of INI
files for core and extensions?), it could be labelled/considered as a
virgin PHP install. Something which could be marketed / advertised.
Essentially, the PHP Group agree that for a production environment,
these are the settings that are the safest to use. If there are
considerations that need to be made for shared hosters, then maybe
some mechanism to set these appropriately. So, for a user coming to an
ISP and looking at hosting, they can see "We use Virgin PHP Settings"
or something like that and know that they won't be different to a
documented "standard". Add this labelling to the phpinfo() page and it
makes things very very clear what is in play.

Richard.

--
Richard Quadling
Twitter : EE : Zend : PHPDoc