Hi!

On 8/7/11 2:13 PM, Richard Quadling wrote:
There will be (not might be, but will be), multiple, and potentially
conflicting/incompatible, versions available. Which do I choose? If
everyone is capable of forking PHP, which is the official one? In the
event of a single official repo, then why bother with a DVCS? (I'll
admit I'm naive on the true requirement of DVCS, as I think SVN works
very well).

You can build single-source workflows around DCVS too. The fact that everybody is keeping the copy of the history doesn't mean there can't be one "main" repository. The point of DCVS is not as much in doing different things from what we're doing now as doing roughly the same things in a better way - more efficiently.

The main thing I'm worried about is if feature X splits the core devs
so much that there are 2 competing repos, both with a significant
number of core devs supporting each repo, how do I choose which is
which? If my abilities include being able to code at the core level,
which should I support? Both? All 3, 4 or 10 different forks?

This can happen right now - take the code, put it on any of the hosting facilities and declare yourself the new king of PHP. DCVS changes nothing here. It's the process that defines the workflows, not the technology. Technology just makes the workflows easier to execute.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/