On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't have a problem with DVCS, just with projects ploughing into using
> git a year ago when it was ( and still is ) not ready for those type of
> projects :(

I think you're talking about submodules not being ready - correct me if I'm
wrong.

We (the Kohana <http://kohanaframework.org> framework and my company) use
git submodules very successfully to track isolated parts of the code.
Submodules work perfectly.

https://github.com/kohana/kohana/blob/3.2%2Fmaster/.gitmodules

It was a case of having to work with it at a time when cross platform tools
> were not available, and subrepo's did not exist.

I've occasionally used msysgit on windows for Kohana development - cross
platform submodules have work perfectly for years!

And - I've never heard a complaint from anyone about Git for OS X / Linux
not working correctly.

> I have a nice working hg setup that works transparently from Linux and
> Windows and runs in parallel with my Eclipse development platform. But even
> that still has not restored some of the excellent tools that CVS and SVN
> provide in Eclipse. MANY of the complaints about CVS and SVN were never a
> problem when one used Eclipse. At some point I expect the same facilities to
> be restored to Eclipse, but currently TortoiseHg runs in parallel neatly. I
> don't have to switch between different tools on the different platforms.

In my experience, no GUI VCS tools (for Git/SVN/CVS) have ever measured up
to the easy of use, and power of the CLI versions. And honestly - I think
choosing a VCS based on the available GUI tools is poor decision making. New
and improved GUI's will continue to be released, while the core VCS will
remain a relatively stationary target.

Again, I'm not explaining things very well ...
> What will not work moving forward is a simple dump of the entire SVN
> history into a single git repository. What is needed is a managed way to
> create a series of subrepos for each of the packages that make up PHP.

This has been briefly discussed in the RFC, and I believe the intention is
to cover that in detail in a second "Migration RFC". I don't believe anyone
is suggesting a simple dump of SVN into Git/Hg.

> PECL and PEAR packages then just become extra subrepos which are included
> or not in the superproject trunk. The 'single repo' camp point to "feature
> branch" as a way of handling that work in a single module without having to
> breaking up the repo

I don't believe that's what anybody is suggesting (besides - I think - the
Drupal document you referenced).

I believe people are suggesting that feature/topic branches might be used
within a single repo. For example the pecl APC repo might have a "master"
(trunk) branch, and a "feature/persistent-opcode-cache" branch.

Kiall