Tedious, and slow because the overhead for each file loaded can easily be in
the 2-5ms range. Nobody is going to have a function per file, but they are
still likely to use function autoloading in other ways. A likely case for this
would be to autoload a group of functions that all share the same prefix.
Another case might be to autoload a set of functions that are related to
something else (for example, usability of singleton classes would benefit
greatly from having a function of the same name as the class, or classes may
want to provide a factory function of the same name.)

John Crenshaw
Priacta, Inc.

P.S. Before someone flames me about the evilness of singletons, yes, I know;
but, occasionally they still have a place. There is usually only one session,
there is only one app, there is usually only one database, logging is usually
configured globally, etc.