On Aug 31, 2011, at 5:39 AM, Christian Stocker <christian.stoc...@liip.ch>
wrote:

> On 31.08.11 09:47, Stas Malyshev wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> For simplexml test (ext/simplexml/tests/bug48601.phpt), it looks like
>> Ilia reverted the fix for bug #48601 with this:
>>
>> http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_4/ext/simplexml/simplexml.c?r1=311870&r2=311874
>>

>> I'm not sure what simplexml is supposed to return in each case, the
>> tests seem to be contradictory. Anybody knows what is the right thing to
>> do here?
>
> Ilia fixed test 0008.phpt with that, but for some reason an XPath of
> "***" isn't considered invalid by libxml (but "**" is, don't ask me why
> ;)). I'd say if libxml doesn't think the XPath expression is invalid, we
> should return an empty array and not false. With DOM exactly that happens.
>
> I therefore vote for reverting Ilia's patch mentioned above.
>
> chregu

I'd like to revert it as well. Have been going back an forth myself. It look
like sometimes internally libxml does see the expressions as invalid but
doesn't communicate that back to the caller (bug there IMO) so right now you
can always write a test that fails regardless of which code is used in simplexml

Rob